Visa for Belgium if you live in Nepal

How to apply for a visa for Belgium if you live in Nepal.

  1. Last updated on
  1. Where, when and how can you submit a visa application?
  2. How much is the handling fee (cost for processing your visa application)?
  3. Required documents
  4. Checking the status of your visa application
  5. Medical certificate - Certified doctors
  6. Contact

The website of the Immigration Office is currently being completely renewed and is still under construction. If you notice that a link does not work, please go to the opening page of the website or consult the page in another language.

New procedure single permit

Since 01/01/2019 the double procedure of an application for a work permit and for a residence permit has been replaced by a single procedure for a unique permit. The visa has to be applied for through the VFS visa application center in New Delhi.

Where, when and how can you submit a visa application?

Belgium does not have a visa department in Nepal. For short stay visa (up to 90 days) C type - Schengen, Belgium is represented by the Embassy Switzerland in Kathmandu. All information regarding address, opening hours and other practical modalities are available on the visa page of their website.

The representation regarding visa matters in Nepal by Switzerland applies only to C visa needed for the followings reasons:

  • Tourist visits
  • Visits to family or friends
  • Cultural or sports manifestations
  • Business trips
  • Short traineeships
  • Transit through the Schengen area

Short stay visa applications aiming to return to Belgium (e.g. when applicant’s Belgian residence card is lost or expired) or for a longer stay in Belgium (e.g. in view of marriage in Belgium) are not covered by the representation agreement and must therefore be lodged at the VFS visa application center in New Delhi. Please send a message to if you require more information.

How much is the handling fee (cost for processing your visa application)?

The handling fee for a short term stay visa (C) is 80 euro, except for children between 6 and 12 year old, which is 40 euro and for children up to 6 years, which is free.

For a long term stay visa (D) the handling fee is 180 euro.

An additional contribution is required for the processing of certain visa D applications.  

Important news

New amounts of administrative fee will come into force from 26 May 2022.

Website links for more information :

The applicant must present proof of full payment of the fee at the time of application. If this evidence is not presented, the application is not admissible and it is not processed.

The fee will not be refunded if the application for a D visa or residence is refused.

Required documents

For a short stay visa (up to 90 days) C type - Schengen, please consult the website of the Embassy mentioned under the first paragraph of point 1 above.

For a long stay visa (more than 90 days) D type - Belgian, please click on the type of visa you need in the list below. This list replaces the English language pages of the website of the FPS Home Affairs Immigration Office, which is under construction; we thank you for your understanding.

According to the type of long stay visa (D visa) you require, you might have to present a medical certificate you can obtain via one of the doctors certified by the Embassy of Belgium. See below point 5 for details.

Official documents issued by public authorities (marriage, birth, and death certificates, or diplomas, police clearance certificates and affidavits) have to be legalized before the submission in a visa file. Click here for all details on legalizations.

If those documents are not directly written in English, they have to be translated by a sworn translator in one of the Belgian national language. Click here for all details on translations.

Checking the status of your visa application

Belgian embassies and consulates general must submit certain visa applications to the Immigration Office of the Federal Public Service Home Affairs for a final decision. It is the only competent authority with regards to the admittance, stay, residence and removal of foreigners from Belgian territory.

In such a case, your file number will be communicated to you by the embassy or consulate general upon the submission of your file to the Immigration Office. From this stage onwards, the Immigration Office is the only authority to contact, if you wish to know the status of your application.

With the file number you can inquire about the status of your application (Boulevard Pacheco 44, 1000 Brussels, T: +32.2.793.80.00, Using this number, you can also check the status of your visa application on the Immigration Office website.

Once a decision has been taken, the Embassy or Honorary Consulate of Belgium will inform you personally.

Medical certificate and certified doctors

If you need a medical certificate for your long term stay visa (D visa), we invite you to contact one of the following doctors certified by the Embassy of Belgium.

GPO Box 3596 
Kathmandu - Nepal 
Tel: 434 642


Should you still have questions on visa procedures after reading carefully this entire website, please contact the Embassy of Belgium via