Home Consular services Identity card
The Belgian embassies and career consulates issue electronic identity cards to Belgians who are listed in their population registers:
- eID: electronic identity card for adults and children aged 12 and above
- Kids-ID: electronic identity card for children younger than 12
These eID and Kids-ID offer various benefits:
- Handy bank card size
- Possibility to travel to more than 50 countries (more information in French or Dutch)
- Less expensive than a passport: 20 € for an eID, 10 € for a Kids-ID
- Remains valid in case you move (to another career post, from or to Belgium)
- Allows certain secure actions over the Internet (if the certificates have been activated)
Do not confuse the Belgian identity card with the Belgian passport or with the residence card of your country of residence.
Note the difference between Belgian identity cards and residence documents, which may be issued by the country of residence. The validity and legal nature of these residence documents are generally limited to the territory of the country of residence.
The eID and Kids-ID are valid identity and travel documents for the member states of the European Union and for a few neighbouring countries. Hence, they will often be helpful - and even necessary - means for the holders to identify themselves.
For numerous countries a passport is required as an eID is not sufficient.
All identity cards issued by the EU member states must, according to European regulations, contain the fingerprints of 2 (index) fingers at the latest from mid-2021.
From Monday 21 June 2021, you will have to come in person and by appointment to your professional consulate for an electronic identity card (e-ID) and / or your child for the Kids-ID (if your child is 6 years or older). More information and application forms are available on the links below in Dutch and French only for the time being. The information in English is not yet updated.